Breaking News

US judge orders Donald Trump admin to defend or postpone ban on TikTok

  • ALSO READ

A US federal judge has ordered the Trump administration to postpone its ban on downloads of or defend itself in a court hearing this weekend brought by the Chinese-owner of the video-sharing application, the Wall Street Journal reported.

If Judge Nichols of the US District Court of Columbia decides on Sunday to halt the Trump administration’s actions against TikTok, it would be the second setback of its kind for the White House in a week, the report said on Thursday.

Another US federal judge last week temporarily blocked President Donald Trump’s executive order curbing Americans’ use of WeChat, a popular Chinese-owned messaging and e-commerce app.

The White House said US downloads of the application on the Apple Playstore and Android’s Google Play will be restricted from Sunday and all of US operations will be banned on November 12 unless the company ceded its local controlling equity and technology to an American firm.

In August, Trump threatened to ban the application in the United States, citing wider concerns about alleged Chinese government spying on data of Americans using China-originated social media.

The United States’ ban was originally to take effect on September 20, but was later deferred to November 12 after the Trump administration offered the company a way out by allowing a US entity to acquire it.

Trump said the software firm Oracle and retail giant Walmart were in final talks for assuming control of TikTok’s equity and technology.

However, TikTok’s parent company ByteDance has insisted to retain an 80 per cent stake in the video-sharing platform’s restructured US operations.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Read our full coverage on TikTok

First Published: Fri, September 25 2020. 07:02 IST

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *