Nate Davis USA TODAY
Released 2:10 AM EDT Sep 14, 2020
The 32 things we acquired from Week 1 of the 2020 NFL season:1. Black Lives Matter. End Bigotry. It Takes Everyone. Still trying to understand how any of that stirs controversy …
1a. Speaking of which, how about Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich taking a knee throughout the across the country anthem? Discuss being a fan for equality.1 b. And, it needs to be noted, I ‘d expect Reich– and any person else who knelt this weekend, consisting of Ravens QB Lamar Jackson– to be gainfully used in the NFL in 2021 and well beyond.1 c. However, as prepared for, groups and players approached pre-game events– they included “Raise Every Voice and Sing,” aka the Black nationwide anthem, and the standard “The Star-Spangled Banner” in Week 1– in different methods. Some clubs locked arms, while no players at all existed for the anthems elsewhere. None of it actually came as a surprise, the Miami Dolphins– they chose not to be on the field for the tunes– signalling throughout the week that they desire action, not more words.2.
To the field. How essential is a 1-0 start? Because the NFL expanded to a 16-game schedule in 1978 (minus the strike-shortened 1982 season), groups losing their opener have actually reached the playoffs only 24% of the time. (Obviously, this year’s postseason field has actually been expanded to 14 teams, so that figure will likely increase.)
3. Russ certainly got to prepare Sunday, Seahawks QB Russell Wilson– he’s never ever been the NFL’s MVP– making a strong opening statement by ending up 31 of 35 passes for 322 lawns and 4 TDs. He likewise led Seattle with 29 hurrying backyards.
3a. Seattle beat the Falcons 38-25, showing the ‘Hawks are 7-0 in the Eastern time zone considered that last season and 22-9 in the Wilson duration. Desire I ‘d bore in mind that before choosing Atlanta to win …
4. If you had Bears QB Mitchell Trubisky outplaying Lions counterpart Matthew Stafford, and tossing three fourth-quarter TD passes in the treatment, you’re welcome to do my investing.4 a. Chicago has really beaten Detroit 5 straight. Desire I ‘d remembered that prior to selecting the Lions to win … though I likewise believed D’Andre Swift might capture.5.
The Washington Football Team is 1-0 all-time. Congrats to Ron Rivera and Co., who have in fact endured rather a summertime of headlines not of their own making.5 a. And the WFT pass rush is as great as marketed, racking up eight sacks (for minus-62 yards) on Carson Wentz and the Eagles’ depleted O-line. Desire I ‘d properly weighted that inequality prior to selecting the Eagles to win …
6. The Las Vegas Raiders are similarly 1-0 all-time. Now, “what occurs in Vegas” next week when the Saints “remain in Vegas” for the opening of Allegiant Arena, aka the “Death Star.”
7. Mentioning brand-new backyards, Los Angeles’ SoFi Stadium seems everything it’s broken up to be, consisting of personal belongings of its own Twitter account. Bummer it will not be hosting fans– Jerry Jones does not count– anytime rapidly.8.
8 teams are breaking out brand-new uniforms this season … considering that if you look excellent, you play excellent, best? Those groups went 4-4 in Week 1. The Patriots, Rams, Chargers and Washington won. The Browns, Colts, Falcons and Bucs didn’t.9.
The AFC North consists of 3 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks (Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow)– the extremely first department in league history to start 3 all at once. Even Baltimore backup Robert Griffin III won the award. Consume it, Huge Ben.9 a. Burrow’s launching implied at least one beginner quarterback has really begun in Week 1 for 13 successive seasons. Nonetheless, considered that 2003, No. 1 picks beginning under center are 0-12-1 in their maiden starts.9 b. Similarly, unpredictable Burrow should begin that nascent mustache in succeeding weeks …
9c. Burrow may have emerged triumphant had Cincinnati K Randy Bullock not missed a 31-yard field goal with 2 seconds staying in the Bengals’ three-point defeat versus the Chargers. Including injury to insult, Bullock– he ‘d connected on 24 succeeding FGs inside 40 backyards prior to Sunday’s misfire– appeared to injure himself on the play.10.
Belichick > Brady
11. Webcam Newton won his Patriots launching, ending up being the first previous MVP quarterback to alter a previous MVP quarterback (Tom Brady) for a group at the start of a season.11 a. Newton likewise ended up being simply the 2nd Black player to start at quarterback in New England history– he signed up with Jacoby Brissett– and the very first to do so on opening day.11 b. Prior to Newton, the last quarterback not prepared by the Pats to win a game for them? How about Hugh Millen in 1991.11 c. Newton’s set of rushing TDs provided him 60 in his profession, making him the very first quarterback in league history to reach that limit.11 d. Props to Webcam for the Chadwick Boseman homage in the end zone.11 e. Last but not least, Mr. Newton, great to see your fit video game didn’t suffer in the middle of the relocation.12.
Elsewhere in New England, Cost Belichick’s defense, ranked No. 1 in 2019 but wrecked by totally free firm and COVID-19 opt-outs this year, restricted the Dolphins to 11 points and 269 backyards.13.
On the other hand, Brady lost in his debut with the Buccaneers– looking more Jameis Winston than TB12 with a set of interceptions.13 a. Nevertheless Brady did rating on a 2-yard TD perform at the start of the computer game. At 43 years and 41 days, he’s the oldest player in NFL history to find the end zone.14.
Sunday likewise marked the first-ever match of 2 quarterbacks a minimum of 40 years of age. Drew Brees, 41, and the Saints got the absolute best of Brady.14 a. Brees is now 4-2 all-time against Brady. The next rematch is Nov. 8.14 b. Great nugget from ESPN Data & Details: Brady and Brees have in fact integrated for more profession TD passes than 7 NFL franchises.15.
Play for pay: Alvin Kamara (Saints) and Dalvin Cook (Vikings) both scored a pair of objectives Sunday, right on the heels of each earning an NFL rarity– a profitable arrangement for a running back. Kamara currently appears investing a few of that cheddar on his game-day appearance.16.
Despite their definitive loss to Seattle, I still like the Falcons as a playoff dark horse. Their Matt Ryan-led attack rolled up 506 yards on the Seahawks, 3 receivers surpassing the century mark and RB Todd Gurley scoring (and looking effective) in his Atlanta debut.17.
Expenses QB Josh Allen ended up with exceptional statistics (312 lawns, 2 TDs passing plus 57 lawns and a TD on the ground) in Sunday’s defeat of the Jets, however the variety of wide-open tosses he continues to lose out on is practically shocking. That will cost Buffalo versus far better challengers.18.
Excellent idea the Packers are preparing to replace QB Aaron Rodgers, who tossed for 364 lawns and 4 ratings as Green Bay (522 overall yards) outgunned the Vikings.18 a. The Load’s defense didn’t look particularly motivating while giving up 34 suggest Minnesota. Nevertheless do not blame underrated CB Jaire Alexander, the very first Green Bay player to tape a security in 19 years. Alexander likewise wound up being the ninth player in NFL history to register a security, sack and interception in the exact same video game.19.
The Raiders and Panthers exchanged the lead 7 times. Pretty incredible video game, specifically relative to the absence of buzz it received.20.
Don’t think the Ravens, who won an NFL-high 14 regular-season computer game in 2019 and have won 13 in a row (playoffs despite), can’t be far better in 2020? Baltimore’s 38-6 thumping of the Browns was plenty excellent, however all the more so when you think about the contributions of beginners Patrick Queen (team-high 8 takes on, sack) and J.K. Dobbins (2 rush TDs).21.
Cleveland hasn’t won on opening day given that 2004, a 16-season stretch of Week 1 futility that is the longest in league history.22.5 members of the Tampa Bay secondary (Sean Murphy-Bunting, Carlton Davis III, Jordan Whitehead, Mike Edwards and Andrew Adams) altered their jersey numbers after last season. Welp … they see it’s the little things that lead to winning …
23. Philadelphia’s Wentz has a TD pass in 20 consecutive regular-season computer game, the longest active streak in the league.24.
It’s a frustration that the unique coronavirus pandemic has usually precluded fans from going to games in 2020. Nevertheless the more noticeable audio coming originating from the field Sunday– from listening to gamers celebrate to the clang of a ball striking off an upright– was quite renewing.24 a. Speaking of things going viral, the uncommon graphics that as quickly as appear minimal to “Monday Night Football” now appear to pervade practically every broadcast. Just CBS seems to still be mainly inoculated.
25. Of the league’s 5 brand-new head coaches, simply Rivera has actually won up until now. The Giants’ Joe Judge might join him Monday.26.
Really cool– likewise not surprising– to see the Ravens honor superfan Mo Gaba, who passed away at the age of 14 in July, with cutouts of him throughout M&T Bank Arena while highlighting the “MO” within “Baltimore” in gold in the end zone.27.
DeAndre Hopkins > Houston Texans
27a. Hopkins had a career-high 14 receptions (for 151 lawns) in his Cardinals introducing, an unexpected upset of the 49ers on the highway.27 b. Houston’s pass receivers had 13 catches (for 163 backyards) in their loss at Kansas City.28.
Your early offensive novice of the year front runner, as forecasted by one Nate Davis: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who debuted Thursday by running for 138 backyards and a TD. The Chiefs’ 166 rushing backyards in their 34-20 defeat of the Texans were more than they gained in any game last season.29.
Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes has never ever lost a Week 1 start. In truth, in the month of September, he has an 8-0 record, 26 TD passes, absolutely no interceptions and a 128.7 passer ranking.
30. Alternatively, Houston’s Deshaun Watson has actually never tasted triumph in Week 1 … and the Texans last did so in 2016.31.
The Colts can be forgiven a loss in Jacksonville used the Jaguars may have enjoyed the most, uh, hostile environment in the league– 14,100 paid participation– Sunday.31 a. Still, first impression of Philip Rivers’ (2 INTs) introducing with the Colts? Indianapolis may have gotten the 2019 variation of Philly River rather of the 2018 edition. Send out squirrel oil pronto.32.
Miss you, @CaptAndrewLuck. Some leaders (and tweeters) are just essential.
Follow U.S.A. TODAY Sports’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis.
If you like talking football, we have the ideal location for you. Join our Facebook Group, The Judgment Off the Field, to take part in friendly dispute and discussion with fellow football fans and our NFL experts. Do the best thing, sign up now!Published 2:10
AM EDT Sep 14, 2020